welcome to multiple strands

a place to converse, virtually, on a variety of topics, bringing together multiple strands to encourage, question, challenge, ponder, and edify. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart. (Eccl. 4.12)

Friday, January 24, 2014

In the midst of beasts is in the midst of God (Ignatius)

Jesus Christ, who is our true life, has authority over this.  For if these things were accomplished by our Lord in appearance only, I also am a prisoner in appearance only, and why also have I allowed myself to be given over to death, to fire, to the sword, to beasts? Instead nearer to the sword is nearer to God; in the midst of beasts is in the midst of God. I endure all things in the name of Jesus Christ alone so that I may suffer with him; the perfect human himself strengthening me.

Ignatius, to the Smyrnaeans. 4.2, in The Apostolic Fathers in English,  Rick Brannen editor.  2011.

No comments: