welcome to multiple strands

a place to converse, virtually, on a variety of topics, bringing together multiple strands to encourage, question, challenge, ponder, and edify. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart. (Eccl. 4.12)

Monday, December 23, 2013

Elephant in the room of suffering

“I suspect that the reason why it is so hard for many of us to live out these implications of our theology is that we do not deeply feel the truths we formally espouse. My creed may tell me I am a miserable sinner, that I deserve hell, that all that I enjoy in life is a gracious gift from God, that I am in no position to expect to escape suffering. But when it comes right down to it, I simply feel my own suffering is unfair.”
- D.A. Carson in How Long, Oh Lord?  Reflections on Suffering and Evil

Carson nails it on the head.  I admit, this thought has crossed my mind: I do not always, or even usually, admit to myself the wickedness in me.  I wonder, often, how many of us espouse a creed in word, yet don't always internally believe it.  And how often do we speak of this elephant in the room?

http://ref.ly/o/howlonglord/91409 via the Logos Bible Android app.

No comments: