welcome to multiple strands

a place to converse, virtually, on a variety of topics, bringing together multiple strands to encourage, question, challenge, ponder, and edify. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart. (Eccl. 4.12)

Friday, February 22, 2013

fly unto God for grace

Tonight, while eating dinner (by myself while traveling on business), I was reading from  Luther's Commentary on Galatians.  He wrote (page 327):

"All the ungodly are utterly ignorant of this knowledge and this cunning. Cain knew it not when he was shut up in the prison of the law and seriously felt his sin. At the first he was without the prison: that is, he felt no terror, although he had now killed his brother; but he dissembled the matter craftily, and thought that God himself was ignorant thereof. ...


He remained still shut up in prison. He joined not the Gospel with the law, but said: “Mine iniquity is greater than can be forgiven.” He only respected the prison, not considering that his sin was revealed unto him to this end, that he should fly unto God for grace. Therefore he despaired and denied God."

That phrase - fly unto God for grace - stopped me in my tracks.  It is a frightening thing to pray, but be that as it may: Lord, please reveal unto me my sin that I might fly unto You for grace!

No comments: